The beer tents are rising! Construction for the 2019 Oktoberfest in Munich officially began on 8th July 2019, 75 days before the start of the world’s largest folk festival.
⇣⇣⇣ Watch progress below via webcam and photos from Munich locals ⇣⇣⇣
Over a 10-week period the Wiesn, as the festival grounds are known, will transform into Munich’s biggest construction site. Excavators, forklifts, trucks and hundreds of workers will ensure the stalls, rides, a post office, and most importantly the beer tents will rise just in time for opening day on 21st September.
Fascinating statistics for Oktoberfest 2019 construction
- the materials for each tent are brought in by around 800 truck loads
- up to 35,000 sqm of floor are laid per tent
- 13.5 kilometres of cable will be laid
- 270 metres of gas pipes will be laid
- 370 metres of water pipes will be laid
All this so over 6 million visitors can raise beers and enjoy the world’s greatest event. Prost!
23rd July update
16th July update
10th July update
Check out our comprehensive guide to the 2019 Oktoberfest in Munich.